Macro lens adapters

I’ve experimented with a couple of add-on macro lens on my iPhone, and found that they actually had too much magnification for 35mm: I couldn’t fit a whole 35mm frame in the picture and keep it in focus. The cheaper lens I tried also introduced a lot of distortion and vignetting. (I would like to make FilmLab have the ability to compensate for lens distortion, but I won’t have time to work on that before version 1.0.)

That said, FilmLab isn’t tied to any particular magnification, so if you can find a lens adapter that works for your phone and for the film size you’re capturing, there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work. I’ve been planning to try using a magnifying filter to help scan 110 film, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet.

It would be rather cool if filmlab could stitch together multiple images in to a single frame - similar to how google photos /documents does it.

I agree, that would be cool! That would have to be a post-1.0 feature but it seems like it should be possible.

It seems like it would work particularly well with macro adapters.

An iPhone on its own is never going to out compete an slr scan of a negative - but with a macro adapter and multiple shots (together with good processing) it really could.